Sunday, September 16, 2007

It has been a while, has it not? Part 1

Well I see that it has been a while since the last time I threw some thoughts together. So now I am trying to make a comeback by laying down opinions and attempting to make sense without having some knucklehead say something stupid... Which as I see happens often. Oh well what are you going to do?

My son started school recently and I am a bit peeved. It seems that I am noticing a pattern with quite a number of schools across the nation (especially n the south where I reside). It appears to me that the schools are attempting to create a group of graduating children who have the mental acuity of a grape. I spoke to my son's teachers and listened to them tell me about their "so-called" curriculum. I stared and listened in utter disbelief as I actually heard his math and science teacher tell me "Well we are going to start off with a review from the work done last year for those students who need remedial work or need to catch up...". After hearing this I asked about the time frame for this and was told that It would probably be for the first two months. That is right folks -- TWO MONTHS!

So let me get this straight: You go through an up to two month review for work that these kids should already know, for the purpose of helping the students who either did not or could not have the ability to do the work the previous year. If I am understanding this correctly the students who took the time to do the work and put forth an effort and the students who showed an ability to do the work are being penalized for the shortcomings of the few who cannot do the work. So effectively, by the time that the students start doing the real work they are already behind in basic academics? Would someone please explain this to me?

Of course school administrators are trying to figure out why more and more parents are having their children home-schooled during their primary school years. I think that more and more people are beginning to figure out that building a curriculum around a state mandated test and completely removing academic competition from the classroom was not such a bright idea. Clearly, these learning philosophies were put forth by people and administrators whose children were not up to snuff and decided to dumb down American academics to suit the failings and shortcomings of their academically, less than adequate children, so it gives the appearance of an even playing field.

To be Continued: Part 2: The Gulag

No comments: